Sunday, October 5, 2008

What motive is all about...

"Do you ever have trouble motivating yourself to do what needs to get done?" This is the question I asked a dear friend Saturday night. My husband and I had just finished date night and were picking up the boys. Home held many responsibilities before my night would end and I was feeling the pull of the day.

I went to bed that night, after getting half of the things accomplished, in prayer about the right motivation. I feel that at the core of me there is great desire for accomplishment and great organization, but in the daily routine it competes with many distractions. I have found that I am not alone in this struggle, but I longed for God to show me how to make right my attitude and my motivation.

He is so faithful. Our church is currently in "Simplify" mode. We are focusing on doing what matters most and as a church whole we are studying the book by Rick Warren, titled The Purpose Driven Life. This Sunday the focus was worship. I was created to worship God. Our pastor posed this question at the start of his message: "What one phrase would capture the message of the Bible?" Ok...no small amount of effort here to answer such a loaded question. How would God have anwsered? Mark 12:30 "And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your mind, and with all your strength."

This is the one thing God desires and it must come from the four origins listed above: heart, soul, mind and strength. Each of these holds great truth to what kind of source is involved in loving God. Can you guess what the heart is really dealing with? Yes...motivation! I wonder at his faithfulness and timing they are both perfect, without delay or confusion. So, our pastor stated in his teaching this morning that my motivation must not be out of obligation or coercion. It must be simply from a heart that desires to love God. Period.

The four sources of love cause my daily living to be an example of a life that from it's core, or, my very being, is choosing to love God because it makes sense. I am also living out that kind of expression of love by actions that match my motivation. So, practically speaking I am finding motivaton to do the things that need to get done, simply because I love God. I desire to honor and please Him. So, what is this called? This daily living in the state of pleasing God with my life? It is called worship.

Motivation is about my desire to worship God because I love Him from the inside out. I maintain my love for Him by choosing to serve in the life He has given me. If I am looking for motivation to get things done, I have stepped away from a life of worship and made it about me and not God. He alone is my motivation to get things done, because a life that is all about the things that matter to God is a life that is pleasing to Him. Why do I long to please Him? Simply because He is God and that is enough reason for me~

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." Romans 12:1

If you would like to hear Pastor Jim's entire message please check it out by clicking here: http://www.colliervillebible.org/327576.ihtml
Click on Simplify-Lesson 2 Why am I here?

No comments:

All content is copyrighted (2008-2014), please seek permission before using. Thank you

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape